Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thoughts and Meditations on Psalm 84 Amplified Version


1a How lovely are your tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!
Where does the Lord live/dwell? WE are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own… (NIV)


His tabernacle (dwelling place) is not only in heaven but in us too! According to the above verse, PS 84:1, WE are lovely.

1b My soul yearns, yes, even pines and is homesick for the courts of the Lord.

Where are the courts of the Lord, in Heaven, within us? Where His people are? Those courts we enter into with thanksgiving? If you’re homesick for them, does that mean you haven’t been there lately? Lord, I will endeavor to diligently seek You, even early in the morning.

2 My heart and flesh cry out and sing for joy to the living God.
My WHOLE being, Lord, longing for You, and singing out that longing!

3 Yes, the sparrow has found a house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even your altars, oh Lord of Hosts, my King and my God.
If birds are free and safe to enter in and all they do is sing – how much more are we welcome, His Body and His Bride! Altar, laying down of oneself there and the altar becomes a house/dwelling place.

4 Blessed – happy, fortunate (to be envied) are those who dwell in your house and your presence; they will be singing your praises all the day long. Selah (pause and calmly think of that)
To dwell in his house you have to come into His city, His gates (with thanksgiving), His courts (with praise),and His house (worship with a clean heart). So if you DWELL in His house, your focus will be on HIM and you will praise. Selah. You calm and slow me down, Lord, I think I am buzzing too fast. Praise Him, this is three weeks later and He is calming me down!

5 Blessed – happy, fortunate (to be envied) is the man whose strength is in You; in whose heart are the highways to Zion. What greater strength is there than to admit our incredible weakness and have His strength be made perfect?

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (NKJV)

Oh, Lord, rewrite your love on the fleshy tables of my heart so it is truly the highway to Zion. I need You. I long for You!

6 Passing through the valley of Baca (weeping) they make it a place of springs; the early rain also fills (the pools) with blessings. When you’re in a valley why do you cry? Because of sadness, due to repentance, from weariness? Then the Holy Spirit fills you to overflowing and your desert valley is turned to Eden because of Him and your yielding. If there are pools left, that means there was a great Holy Spirit abundance so that it couldn’t even soak in all at one time! There is beauty in trials.

7 they go from strength to strength – increasing in victorious power; each of them appears before God in Zion. Even our trying times will be seen as strengths (His strengths) as we learn to rely on and grow in Jesus. What do you have to be like to appear before God? You have to be Holy and righteous.

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. (NKJV)


We have but one advocate before the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ….

I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. (NKJV)


It is His garments, His robe of righteousness, His salvation. He died and we need to ask for this great gift.
Yielded, we cannot go wrong.

8 Oh, Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah (Pause and calmly think of that) We cry out and He hears us and He delivers us from all our fears! He hears, He hears, He hears!!!

9 Behold our shield (the King as your agent) O God, look upon the face of your anointed!  He takes the blows, He goes before, He quenches the enemy’s darts… a shield goes in front so don’t retreat but go forward. What more powerful agent is there than the King?

10 For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand (anywhere else); I had rather be a doorkeeper (gatekeeper) and stand at the threshold in the house of my God than to dwell (at ease) in the tents of wickedness. I’d rather be with You (the gate/door to the Youth With A Mission base, where I was in training, was right by my work duty office, so I could really relate to this)  Jesus started speaking to my heart about this scripture on our field trip several weeks later. I was asked to consider working in the front office after training. My initial reaction was Ugh. I had just spent 10 years working in a doctor’s office. The Lord started reminding me of Ps 84:10 and gradually my excitement began to grow. I found out the gatekeeper was sort of a detail person, trouble shooter and organizer. That is how the Lord had wired me too!

11 For the Lord God is a Sun and shield; the lord bestows (present) grace and favor and (future) glory – honor, splendor and heavenly bliss. No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.  The Lord provides balance, warmth, radiance (for life and growth) also shade and shelter. Bliss, heavenly bliss, I could handle a portion of that! He will supply all my needs, “good things” if I walk uprightly.

12 O Lord of Hosts, blessed –happy, fortunate (to be envied) – is the man who trusts in You, leaning and believing on You. Committing and confidently looking to You, and that without fear of misgiving. I do commit all; my expectations, my future, my work, my budget, my well being, my love, my trust, my energy, faith, time, purpose, LIFE to You. I do lean, believe and look with confidence to You, Lord Jesus!  Praise You, for Your ways are perfect!

It was by saying YES to working in the front office of YWAM instead of going on a mobile team that I got to meet and get to know Mick Phelps. We just celebrated our 24th anniversary. Just think what I would have missed had I plowed on in my direction and joined the mobile team. Oh, Lord, thank you that I listened!

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

No comments: