Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Grilled Veggies


YOU ARE INVITED FOR DINNER TONIGHT!!

What works even better than the sword-like skewers is a little basket apparatus I found at Wal-Mart a couple years back in the patio department. It looks like a metal, flat basket and I immediately dubbed them “grilley baskets” I have long since forgotten what they are supposed to be called. OK, I googled and they are grill baskets or hamburger baskets and now they come in non-stick. I might have to rethink this whole thing. The only problem with my grilley baskets is that they are impossible to clean. That doesn’t stop me though in that anything is sterilized in the dishwasher or on the flame of the grill. GRIN

Usually a day or two before the grilling event I wash and marinate any of a variety of veggies.
You can precook a sweet potato or regular potato in the microwave with the peel on and slice into 1/2 to ¾ inch circumferences.

Mushrooms are delightful.

Small or any size bell peppers – yellow, red, orange – cut up into relatively flat pieces

Onions cut into ¼ to ½ inch slices

Little cherry tomatoes

Any veggie you would like to try – go for this yummy way to have an easy supper

The marinades I love the best are the fat free ones by Lawry’s. My favorites are Hawaiian and the Chipotle or Mesquite Lime. Place veggies in a zip lock bag and pour on the marinade – refrigerate on a plate for several hours to several days. A baggie full of chicken breasts completes the meal.

Turn the grill on high on the grilling day. I let it get up to 500 degrees while arranging the veggies in the baskets placed over cookie sheets in the kitchen. Stack ‘em up and take the whole batch to the grill. The chicken can go in a basket also if you like.

Arrange the baskets in a single layer over the grill surface and keep a pot holder handy. I move them around about every 5 minutes, turning them and getting them rearranged so they brown but don’t burn.
You may also use any oil based salad dressing for marinade.

Easy, yummy and fun to do ahead so you have little prep the day of.
ENJOY

We are having the veggies with a T-bone I found in the freezer and some pork chops (I won';t have to cook tomorrow either)

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved - use giving proper credit

No comments: