- 1 (1 lb) bag of frozen broccoli floret
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-4 finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter (or 10 servings spray butter)
- 1 cup of your favorite shredded cheddar cheese (we use Kraft Cheddar Classic Melts)
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
1. Place broccoli and 3/4 cup water in microwave safe dish, Microwave broccoli until fork tender (about 6 min on high).
2. Meanwhile in saucepan, saute shallots until clear.
3. When clear, add flour to pan and stir until flour cooked Add broth and 1/2 cup of broccoli water and 1/4 of broccoli spears.
4. Mash entire mixture with a potato masher.
5. Bring to a rapid boil.
6. Boil for about 3-5 minutes.
7. Decrease heat, add rest of broccoli spears (whole), half and half and cheese.
8. Stir until cheese melts.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy.